Pages

Friday, May 1, 2009

Opening Doors

I have officially hit the streets of Sentani. Yes, that means I am driving now. It's very different than in the States, because Indonesians drive on the opposite site of the road. The steering wheel is on the opposite side of the car. Our car is a standard/stick shift model. I have only sat in or practiced a few times in one of these. Now we own a standard, so I have to learn if I want to leave the house. So far, so good. No damage to me, the car, landmarks, or Indonesians. I feel like I'm 15 all over again.

Since we moved here we have introduced ourselves or been welcomed about three times. Tonight is the third time. We have to tell a plane story (guess who will be doing that one) and a personal God did something amazing story. God does amazing stuff everyday. We can say it in English and someone will translate, or we can say it in Indonesian. I think I would like to say it in Indonesian. We went to school for about 9 months to learn the language, there's no better time to use it!

I never realized how much of a door opener language is. Language is one of the keys to understanding, the key to building a relationship, the key to feeling comfortable or "in the know" of things. Language allows someone to know that you are important and worth the time. It's really quite amazing.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I think I am glad your driving experiences are halfway across the world. There are enough 15 year old drivers over here...jk! I can't wait to hear you speak another language...you and Mollie have something in common...she is trying to learn to speak our language right now too and it is going to open a lot of doors for her too. So proud of you!

 
Images by Freepik