Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Cooking from Scratch *** Revised Version***

****Since I wrote this post I have really been contemplating what I said in it. The Holy Spirit would not let me forget what I wrote in here. I have to apologize, because I have lots of girlfriends in the States that are housewives. I think this post downplayed the very important role that they play. There are also certain conveniences that we have here in Indonesia that housewives in America don't have. The biggest (and most helpful) is a househelper. We call them "pembantu". For us, our helper comes three times a week. She does all of our laundry, hangs it out on the line to dry (we don't have dryers), irons everything, and cleans the house. This makes it easier for us, because it frees up alot of time for other things- like cooking. When I think about my friends in America and what their life is like, I get tired! They work so hard. Washing clothes, folding clothes, cleaning the house, grocery shopping, cooking, taking care of babies, being actively involved with church events or other events, and still finding time to go for a run or a trip to the gym- sometimes all in one day! So, I am sorry because I don't think what I wanted to say came across clearly. No one told me that they were upset with anything, but I just know that if I were living in the States and I read that, I would be offended. I think you're super, and you work hard- much harder than I do. So please read the following, but extending lots of grace to me. Thanks, Amber****


Housewives in America have it sooooooooooo easy compared to housewives here. Now, don't get me wrong, that job is hard anywhere in the world. What I am saying is that Americans have more "convienences" than some other parts of the world.

Take for example, Wal-Mart. I never really appreciated that store and others like it until I moved here. Now I play games with my friends like the "What one item would you buy from Wal-Mart?" game. At Wal-Mart you can buy pre-packaged, pre-cooked food. Amazing. Pop it in an electric oven (oh yeah, what's that? everyone uses gas ovens here)and presto! You have a fancy Italian meal that only took you 20 minutes! Man, I miss those days! Want a whole cooked chicken? No problemo! Just head to Wal-Mart's deli section and pick one up. Want some mashed potatoes on the side? Tidak apa-apa (no problem) just buy some at the deli or pick up an instant potato package.

That is the life I am used to. That is the life I grew up in.

Transition to now. Wal-Mart? What's that? Instant? What does that mean? We have instant milk and instant noodles (like Ramen, but the flavors are much better). So I am learning to cook from scratch. That should be the title of a cookbook (it probably is somewhere). It should tell you how to cook everything worth eating in easy steps and without breaking a sweat! That would be A M A Z I N G!

So, do you cook from scratch? What are you favorite recipes that don't involve a "can of whatever" or a pre-made package of whatever? Please pass it on! Any tricks that you have? Any cookbooks that you suggest?

The adventure of becoming domesticated is hard, I'm not going to lie. I'm always trying to find "short-cuts" or "the easy way out". It's hard to have a hot meal prepared and on the table for dinner. We don't even have kids yet! So hats off to you moms that work hard everyday to put a hot meal on your table!

2 comments:

Haley Nevins Hicks said...

Hey Amber! I haven't read your blog in awhile but headed over after I read Megan Cards blog and it was so funny, because she had just blogged about having a hard day (she's now staying home with her 2 1/2 yr old and 1 month old) And I just went on my maternity leave from work so now I am officially a stay at home mom (it will really start when Griffin arrives I guess) But anyways, your post was actually really encouraging and made me think about other women in other countries and what they have and do have to do. That is nice they have a househelper! Can everyone afford to have one? And next time I complain about having to go to Walmart I will think of you and then thank the Lord for it :) I think anywhere you live, everyone's circumstances are different and each culture is different, but prob stay at homes mothers anywhere have hard days or different things that make it hard, but like I told Megan, all the bad out weighs the good I am sure! I guess I will soon find out! I am proud of you though, being over there and learning a new way of life! Not many people get to experience that!

Griffin will be here any day now, we are just waiting now. I hope he comes early, but I am tying to be patient and trust the Lord's will is best and it will be accomplished.
Take care and enjoy each day! Love, Haley

Bonnie said...

Hey girl, you need to check out http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/ I love her blog and she cooks a lot from scratch. I love cooking from "scratch" because it is much more healthy than convenience foods.

I'm not sure what you have access to (milk?, cheese?, butter?) but she has lots of YUMMY recipes that are fairly easy.

You might be able to find some stuff on http://www.allrecipes.com You weren't super specific on what you have access to, but if you give me some ideas of what you can buy there I can help you plan some yummy menus. I LOVE to cook! :)

 
Images by Freepik