Pages

Friday, November 21, 2014

Lost and Found

Think back to your childhood. What was something that went with you wherever you went? What was something that you always had in bed with you when it was time to go to sleep? Maybe some of you never had something like that. Maybe some of us STILL have something special like that. For me, it's a quilt that my Little Grandma made me when I was a young girl. I'm not even sure how old I was when she gave it to me. That quilt has been to every country/state/church camp/college dorm room/house/road trip/airplane ride/hospital I've ever been to! The only person I will share that quilt with is Kate... and I haven't had to do that yet and [thankfully] she hasn't asked!

Kate has Ms. Cow. Ms. Cow was given to her by Big Grandma (aka Big G or Big Maw). Ms. Cow was a friend to Kate as she hung out in her butterfly chair bouncing away. She kept Kate company while drinking milk. She would roll around on the floor with Kate during tummy time. She was even lucky enough to get some sweet bedtime snuggles in. Ms. Cow even helped Kate struggle through jetlag by blocking out the sun so Kate could sleep! I mean, seriously, what a friend!



 
Then it happened.
 
When we returned from Singapore.
 
It happened.
 
Where is she? Where is Ms. Cow?
 
I think I was more upset than Kate. Honestly, I don't think she even noticed Ms. Cow was missing. We put out a BOLO (Be On the Look Out) for Ms. Cow. We asked our helper to keep an eye out too. Nothing. She was no where to be found. I thought we would have to ask for a second Ms. Cow to replace the first. So, I grieved the loss of Ms. Cow.
 
Then it happened.
 
Months later...
 
When I was changing the sheets on Kate's bed.
 
It happened.
 
A soft pink and white blanket thing peeked out at me from underneath the mattress.
 
Could it be??!!
 
It was! It was her! I grabbed her and called sweet Kate into her room. That reunion of two old friends was nothing short of beautiful. Kate's eyes LIT up. She grabbed her friend around the neck and held onto her. My Momma heart knows that kind of hug- you know, the hug between two loved ones who haven't seen each other in a long while, you never want to let go. Kate then took Ms. Cow on a quick tour to introduce her to all the changes that had happened while she was away. Kate was thrilled to have her sahabat (Indonesian for close friend) back. The two have been inseparable since. Ms. Cow normally stays in Kate's bed and anticipates naptimes and bedtime, but often Kate will break her out and the two explore the house together.
 

 


I know it's something small, but it was special to find Ms. Cow. So she was once lost, but now is found!
 


1 comment:

Jeff ko7m said...

I know how special these small tokens can be. My youngest brother had a blanket that never left him. He is still has a fragment of it at age 41.

I myself was presented with a little teddy bear by my youngest son who gave it to me at a very traumatic time in my life when he was the only son (out of four) I had that would talk to me. That bear goes everywhere with me. Has flown to every country I have visited, every car trip and goes on every flight in my super cub. Josh never knew he was in my flight bag, I suspect when he was my flight instructor. They are small things, but very important in many ways. Welcome home to Ms Cow!

 
Images by Freepik