Pages

Thursday, May 12, 2016

1 Avocado and 1 Lemon, Please.

Usually a scroll through my Facebook feed introduces me to a variety of new, delicious-looking recipes that are simple to make. The only problem is that the ingredients can't be found locally, so after I wipe the drool off the computer I move on with my day, promising that some day I'll make that. Last week there was a recipe that we could actually get ALL the ingredients locally- avocado hummus. 

Kate and I walked to the grocery store to look for 3 items- bread, a lemon and an avocado. 

Indonesia is still generally a cash society. Employees are often paid in all cash. Businesses tend to have bank accounts, I would say the majority of the population does not have a bank account. We have an Indonesian bank account and have one ATM card, so we have to coordinate when we withdraw money. You must have small bills to pay for parking. 

So on this day I had a small amount of money on hand and no access to the ATM card. I rarely choose a good avocado and am often disappointed with the inside when I cut it open. I squeezed one and it felt like "the one". Avocado in hand, I went to have the item weighed prior to check out. The lemons were stocked right across from me, so I chose one lemon that looked on the small side. I had it weighed and asked for the price, quickly determining if I had enough money. The total would be right at the edge, and I might be the lady who deletes items at the register just so she can pay with the money she has. 

The cashier totaled my avocado and lemon- 28,300 rupiah. I looked in my bag... 28,000 in bills and 300 in coins. Exact change. Uang pas. That's all the money that was in my bag. 

It may sound strange but I was really thankful to God- that was my dinner plan and it would have really complicated the day if there was not enough money. It was a small reminder to me that God has provided and will provide for my needs both big and small.  He even cares about giving good things like 1 perfect avocado and 1 lemon. 

No comments:

 
Images by Freepik