Pages

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Nesting or Something

How do you nest when you live in two worlds? We have an American world and an Indonesian world. We can't buy the newest, cutest, or best of the baby world. One reason is we can't afford it, and another reason is we have to some how get all of this "stuff" across an ocean to the other side of the world. (**We're now accepting recommendations on HOW to do that!!)

Normally, a "nester" would get the nursery together. Paint cute colors on the wall, spend hours on pintrest searching for the perfect nursery theme, reading books, doing laundry, and preparing for the arrival of the little one.

Our nesting is SO different. This is an area I'm grateful for. We (errr... um... Josh) painted a room for her before we left. We don't have to paint any rooms at the Farm. We don't have to spend billions of dollars on this or that, which of course she MUST have to survive as a baby in this world! We don't have internet at the Farm, which saves me from the guilt of not being as creative as other moms, which I'm starting to wonder if they REALLY exist because truly it's impossible to make home cooked meals from scratch, while maintaining an immaculate house, while teaching your toddler how to behave properly, while nursing your newborn, while sewing those super cute things, while wearing heels and looking great after a 30 minute exercise, and taking pictures to post later on your blog all at the same time!

Honestly, maybe I'm putting off nesting because I am tricking myself into thinking that if I'm not ready then everything else will be delayed until I am... which will be never. Really I am looking forward to snuggling with her and holding her, just really nervous about the other things which we've already talked about.

We have, however, been getting ready. We have purchased clothes for her. I'm proud of this- none have been at full price. Most were purchased from consignment shops with prices from $0.99 to a full outfit with a coat for $10. Others were from retailers all on sale. Today we washed them... ALL. Josh said others might ask us how many kids do we actually have?!


We (err... umm... Josh) installed the car seat. She'll be riding in comfort and style. This activity showcased both our ability to read directions and some flexibility. My flexibility mainly involved getting in and out of the backseat of the van without help.




 
 

Mission Accomplished.
 
Now
we
wait.

1 comment:

Sarah DeSalvo said...

Amber, we've done the have-a-baby-then-go-overseas a couple of times and I'm sure you've figured most of it out but just thought I'd share my two cents. I found quite a lot of baby items that were lightweight and/or fold up.

This is the BEST bouncy chair (just ask Alan and Alyssa Discoe - I sold mine to them :-)) and even though it's pricey, it's amazing. Maybe you can find one on ebay or Craigslist - that's how I got mine: http://www.amazon.com/BABYBJORN-BabySitter-Balance-Brown-Beige/dp/B001HOIC8K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382201880&sr=8-1&keywords=baby+bjorn+bouncer It folds up almost completely flat and will fit in a duffel or suitcase.
I also LOVED my baby playmat (another item I sold to Discoes :-)) I think I got this one but just about any playmat will fold flat for travel: http://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Love-Deluxe-Lights-Activity/dp/B000067K0L/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382201944&sr=8-1&keywords=tinylove+playmat

My kids both also slept in pack-n-plays the entire time they were a baby. I know some people brought them from the States, but it is pretty much an entire piece of luggage so to pay $100 or more to ship it when you can buy a new one in Indonesia for the same price didn't make much sense to me. I bought one there and never used a crib.

Anyway, that is a long enough comment for now but if you'd like any more input on stuff that I'd recommend bringing with you, I'd be happy to help :-) my e-mail is junglewife(at)gmail(dot)com :-)

 
Images by Freepik