Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Olympic Fever

Once again I'll begin with an apology. Our internet wasn't working this past week. I was trying to "remain calm" and not letting this get me frustrated. We think it's up and running. So here's a post.

I love the Olympics! Cheering on your country, hoping for world records to be broken, sharing in the victory and the defeats, celebrating the "firsts", and appreciating the accomplishments of others can sum up my view of them.

Indonesia had a total of 22 athletes in badminton, weightlifting, track and field, swimming, shooting, fencing, archery, and judo. I found myself cheering for them and hoping that they would win medals. They won two medals in weightlifting. A badminton team was involved in a scandal, which sparked ignorant sport editorials written by people who haven't experienced the passion of badminton. That's right- passion. When we arrived four years ago, we were asked to play badminton with classmates from language school. My first thought was a memory of playing in the backyard at Aunt Imogene's house and being distracted by the little frog that lived in the tree the net was tied to. I showed up expecting a laid back game, little did I know what I was going to see. Shuttlecocks were flying around and we had to hit it over the net??? When you play badminton in Indonesia, you run. You sweat. There may even been blood and bruises. Thanks to the Olympics I learned names of athletes and can chat with others about those they respect.

The Olympics were shown live daily from 4 pm- 7 am. My sleep schedule was thrown out the door, and I would stay up late and sleep in late! For two weeks straight, we watched. I loved watching the women from conservative Islamic nations competing. I was excited to watch those who were the first women to represent their countries. I cried when those that won gold were overwhelmed with emotion. I winced when runners pulled muscles or when gymnasts fell off the balance beam. I enjoyed going to the swimming pool and seeing little girls inspired by synchronized diving practicing for their future Olympic appearances. I appreciate that the Olympics allow children to dream of great things.

I'm thankful that they were airing on television here.

The Olympics are now finished, but the excitement of the competition is still wearing off.

No comments:

 
Images by Freepik