Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Did you hear the one about the duck?

Did you hear the one about the duck? For some reason it sounds like the beginning of a great joke to me with a punchline that will have you wetting your pants. But seriously, did you hear about the duck?

K and I were on our way home from playing soccer when I had to brake for a duck in the middle of the road near my neighborhood. Living here I've had to brake for many things: adults, kids, soccer balls, bicycles, motorcycles, cars, dogs, cats, goats, pigs, cows, chickens, rats, frogs, cockroaches (just kidding! I run those suckers over), and now I can add duck to my list. 

This braking felt weird. There's a lake "near" my house, but it's not close enough for that duck to get confused. There's no pond or other body of water large or small near by, so this duck in my neighborhood left me saying,"Huh, that's different." If I'm honest with myself, I probably say that many times through my day, week, or month. I'd be rich if I had money for every time I either said it or heard it said. 

K and I left the house again for a quick store trip and on our way home the duck was still there. It was a hot day and it had found a nice shaded spot in front of our neighbor's gate. K and I unloaded and I took her to see the duck. We have pictures of ducks in our books, but to see one in real life in our neighborhood was something to see up close. Also this duck was not like most ducks in picture books. 




Later that afternoon we went out again. I asked the kids in the neighborhood if they had seen the duck. We all talked about how strange it was that it was there. They ran to where it was and pointed to show us that he was still there. 

The next day he was gone. Just like that. Someone may have enjoyed a nice duck dinner or he may have just found waddled to another place. 

You never know what you'll see here. Sometimes it's strange or different and most of the time it's unexpected, but it's so fun to see the differences and examine them, admire them, and learn from them. 

No comments:

 
Images by Freepik