Pages

Monday, June 15, 2009

Whew, What a Weekend!

It all started in March, when we moved to Papua. We took a trip to the "pasar" (pah-sar) or the farmer's market. Here you can buy fresh veggies, fruit, meats, and whatever else you need. In a way, it's like the Wal-Mart of Sentani, if you use your imagination. They have a section of meats- chicken, fish, shrimp, even some pork or deer meat. Josh is always making comments of how he wants to buy a fresh piece of fish to grill. So, I took a trip on Thursday with a friend and bought a piece of fresh yellow-finned tuna ALL for him. I don't really like fish, but I love my husband so I bought the fish. I brought it home, cut it up, made a batter to fry it in, and cooked corn on the cob and made a salad. So we ate dinner, and Josh made me feel so great! He kept saying," This is so good. This is really good. Wow, so good." As he put another fish bite into his mouth.

After dinner, we were watching the Bourne Ultimatum- great movie!- and he said that his hands and feet were itching. I just said while still focusing on the movie that maybe it was the fish. He then got a big headache, which he thought was because he didn't drink enough water, so he took two tylenol. After the movie was over, he went to lay down in the bed. I followed, and I looked at his eyes. I said something like," Wow, your eyes are really red! I mean like REALLY red. You should go look at them." So he got up to look in the mirror, when he turned around I noticed that his face was REALLY red and swollen. The redness went onto his neck too. I asked him to lift his shirt up- red EVERYWHERE. It looked like some design of red and white. My first reaction was to laugh and get the camera (we were both laughing about this!), but after the photos we immediately realized that this was not a good situation. So I called some friends that knew we were having fish. After our friend got his laughs out, called a nurse, and came to our house with his wife, Josh took two benadryl. He lasted about 1 1/2 hours on TWO benadryl- he's a beast. Most people would have been out after about 20 minutes. So I woke him up again at 2:30 AM for two more pills. When I woke him up at 7 AM, he was back to normal but had a big headache. He did look tired, but after 4 benadryls in 9 hours anyone would, right? He's back to normal now, but we're staying away from tuna.

Saturday we took a trip to the beach with some families that Josh works with. It was a cloudy, overcast, rainy day. Not unusal for some mornings here, but we thought it would clear up. So we went anyway. Someone had built a new swing. You climb up a tree onto a platform of bamboo and swing into the water. Along the shore of the water was alot of dead coral, due to fishermen that use dynamite to bring in the catches. That not only kills the fish but also the coral. So, I climb up the tree, grab the swing, and go. I had sand on my hands that caused me to lose my grip! So I land on my right knee in the row of dead coral. I stood up, tried to laugh it off, but my knee looked a little rough with blood running down my leg. I iced and elevated it. I was out for about an hour, mainly because I was afraid of the salt water burning it like crazy. Josh and I did go out again for snorkling. It is really different when there's no sunshine, but still quite the sight. I woke up Sunday morning with really intense neck pain. When I slipped, we think I had a little bit of whiplash too. It's funny, because you never realize what neck muscles are used for what until they are sore- like holding your head up, you use them when you yawn, or when you look down or around. As of Monday morning, it's still a little tender, but looking down is a little bit less painful.

You really NEVER know what will happen in life :) Praise God that He knows everything that is going to happen to us and wrote it out before time. Incredible!

5 comments:

Sarah LeighAnn said...

Aww, poor Josh, how sad! And your poor knee and neck, too! Glad you guys are ok. :) I love reading your posts, and how upbeat you always are. You have great stories. :)

Miss you two like crazy!!!

Love,
Sarah

Jennifer said...

Sounds like a rough weekend! Sorry it was full of pain. I hope that your week is much better and I am glad you both are okay!

Josh and Amber Harrington said...

Thanks girls! We are feeling back to normal :) We miss you too!

Elizabeth said...

Things Josh and Amber shouldn't do overseas-
1) Ride bikes
2) Eat fish
3) Rope swing

Josh and Amber Harrington said...

i totally agree, liz! i'm getting more injuries here than i have in a really long time. they make for good stories though :)

 
Images by Freepik